Monday, January 11, 2010

Pork Loin and Rice. Roasted Tubers

It's all because I wanted to type "tubers" but it is a funny word to say; right up there with "legume", "kumquat" and "turnip". 

I am marinading about a pound of pork loin in World Harbors Acadia Marinade.  The loin will marinade for about 45 minutes to an hour as it comes up to room temperature.  Then I will put it on a bed of sliced onion in a glass roasting pan.  The onion keeps the pork up off the bottom of the pan, imparts some flavor and becomes a lovely part of the roasted tubers.  This pan of pork and onion (which might or might not be a "tuber" depending on how much I trust my cursory web search) will go into a 400 degree oven.  Along side of the pork and onion (might be a tuber) I will put chopped potatoes, and sliced carrots on a sheet pan drizzled with olive oil, salt and pepper.  This pan, too, shall go into the oven.  I chop the potato to an approximate size of a pink school eraser; the carrots get about half an inch bias (slant) cut

I pull the pork at an internal temperature of 140 degrees, and let it rest for 10 minutes.  To keep the loin, or anything I am resting, from getting overwhelmed by its own juices I always rest on a small plant turned upside down over paper towels on a larger plate)  By the end of the 10 minutes the internal temperature (at the largest part natch) should have risen another 5 degrees or so. The original roasting time usually takes around 40 minutes, but check after 20, depending on oven, size, position yadda yadda yadda. 

While the loin is resting, I slop the roasted onions and juices over the roasting tubers, give a stir and re-introduce into the roasting oven. This allows the pork fat that has rendered and the onions to be part of the roasted tubers.  (They usually become part of a day after Samosa, so stay tuned gentle reader)

Now to the rice.  I boil a cup and a half of water, introduce a cup of rice, stir like crazy for 10 seconds, re-lid and wait for the starchy water to start bumping the lid.  When the lid has been bumped I move the whole pan, lid and all, into the oven (still at 400 deg.F) for 20 minutes.  After 20 minutes I remove the rice and let it sit for 10 minutes extra.  (If you plan well, the pork and rice come out around the same time and will have rested for the same 10 minutes.  In those 10 minutes the tubers finish roasting and everything is ready at the same time.  This is the timing that comes with experience and luck) I then fluff the rice with chopsticks (a fork is fine) and I have lovely white, fluffy, unburnt rice. 

For those of you who are list oriented:
1lb pork loin (buy the pre-packaged ones at 2 lbs, they usually have two back to back)
Marinade of choice in a large zip-top bag.
4 Medium sized potatoes, cut into shapes that resemble a pink erasor.
3 carrots cut into 1/4 inch rounds, if you want to look fancy cut on the bias
2 small/medium (one honking big) onion, sliced about 1/2 inch thick for the bottom of the roasting pan.
3 glugs of olive oil
Salt and Pepper to taste (go nuts with other seasonings, Cajun, Garlic, Old Bay; The Mrs. likes her 'taters to taste like 'taters)
1 cup rice and 1&1/2 cup water.

This is my first recipe post so please gentle readers, be gentile. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This recipe provided great results. I highly recommend it, and not just because it was prepared by my husband. :)