Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The Roast that keeps on Giving

A few weeks ago I made a roast of beef.  The Mrs. and I ate well off the beef for about 3 days, including steak and eggs, cold roast sandwiches, re-warmed roast, and of course the original roast.  By my calculations we fed two people 4 meals on one piece of meat.  (it was under two kilo's)


Today I braved the busy halls of my local Pathmark and found a Rib Eye roast on sale for $3.29 a pound (for club members).  Knowing the length to which I can streatch such a piece of meat (even thinking Roast Beef Hash on Saturday) I was excited to find a 3.6 pound (apx 1.5 kilos) eye roast for $12.  (rounding like Edward Norten here)


The Roast, potatoes, seasoned and ready to go

When I got it home I let it sit out for an hour or so.  I beleive in bringing meat up to room temperature before roasting, but Williams Sonama suggested chilling an eye roast before roasting to enhance flavor.  I am not sure on the science of this, but I split the difference, and let the hunk of beast come up for an hour, but still maintain some chill in the middle.  I am out of oninos, so I used qartered potatoes as a roasting rack.  I wiped the roast down with olive oil, sprinkeled on some Kosher salt (to draw out the protiens dont you know?) and then seasoned with my trusty pizza seasoning.  When I knew The Mrs. plans I turned the oven on to 475.  When the oven hit temp I introduced the roast to the hotbox (middle rack) and turned the heat down to 350.

I know my man Alton advocates a "low then high" method of roasting, I have found with my personal sized roasts the "high then low" method works for me.

After a 40 minutes there was VERY little thermal action

My new Pot Holder, thing is awesome (and from our regestry)

so I put the roast back into the oven (top rack this time) for another 40 minutes.  The center reads 110 now (after checking) and I know that I want to pull the roast at 120.  (Degrees F)  With a caryover of around 10 degrees my roast should wind up around 125-130, or a wonderful medium-rare, in the middle.  The ends shoudl be wonderful and crusty, full of flavor, the center full of juice and redness.

Roast out of the oven after 80 minutes (One hour twenty minutes)


I will, of course, let this rest for 10-15 minutes for the carryover to take effect, as well as letting the juices re-distribute; that is go back into the roast as the meat cools and relaxes.  There is some science behind all this, but that is a later post.

The Roast Rests under an aluminum tent


Pictures will follow.  For now, gentle reader (and eater) imagine the smell in the kitchen. 



Dinner is served.  


Have a good Wednesday, and look for some leftover recipes soon.

No comments: